‘Why Tiwari is loath to give his blood sample’
New Delhi: Delhi High Court on Thursday sought an explanation from Veteran Congress leader N D Tiwari by Monday as to why he was bent upon defying court`s order to give his blood sample for a DNA test to decide the paternity suit of a 31-year-old man claiming to be his biological son.
"You (counsel for Tiwari) please take instructions from your client as to why he is not willing to comply with the court order asking him to give blood sample for the DNA test by next Monday," Justice Gita Mittal said.
Justice Mittal sought to know Tiwari`s reason for not giving his blood sample for a DNA test, saying that he cannot be allowed to frustrate the court`s order.
"We will not allow you to frustrate the order. Let`s not allow the impression to gather momentum that you can flout the court orders in this manner," she said.
Justice Mittal was hearing two applications of Rohit Shekhar, seeking prosecution of the 85-year-old Congress leader for non-compliance of the high court order, duly endorsed by the Supreme Court, asking him to give his blood sample to ascertain Rohit`s claim of being his biological son.
"The issue of conduct of DNA test can be decided later but first of all you provide the blood sample before the crucial evidence vanishes," the court said.
Rohit had yesterday moved the court for initiation of contempt proceedings against Tiwari after he steadfastly refused to give his blood sample for his DNA test.
Tiwari has been refusing to give his blood sample contending that "nobody can be pressurized to give evidence in this manner."
The octogenarian Congress leader, who held the post of undivided Uttar Pradesh chief minister twice and later of Uttarakhand, had allegedly been adopting evasive tactics to defy court`s order.
Seeking initiation of contempt proceedings against Tiwari, who had to quit as Andhra Pradesh Governor in December 2009 in wake of an alleged sex scandal in the state`s Raj Bhawan, Rohit had told the court that "despite clear and specific orders of the high court, directing the defendant
(Tiwari) to furnish blood samples for the DNA test, he has refused to do so."
Tiwari was last asked by the high court to appear on June 1 in a dispensary at the court premises to give his blood sample for the DNA test, but he had refused to abide by the court order.
Rohit`s application, seeking launch of contempt proceedings against him, said by non-appearance on June 1, Tiwari has willfully disobeyed orders of the court. He further said "in the light of the advanced age of the contemnor
(Tiwari), such delaying tactics and continuous blatant disregard of the orders of the courts may result in the entire suit becoming in fructuous."
Earlier, Tiwari, who was to appear before the Joint Registrar, moved an application saying he cannot be forced to appear and give his blood sample to decide the case.
It said no courts had asked Tiwari to give his blood sample "compulsorily" to decide the paternity suit
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow