Why was Anderson not questioned, CIC asks CBI
New Delhi: The Central Information Commission on Monday directed the CBI to provide reasons for not questioning then Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson in
connection with Bhopal Gas Leak case in 1984 during his visit to the country despite recent exemption given to the agency by the government from making disclosures under the RTI Act.
The case relates to an RTI application filed by
Lucknow-based lawyer SP Mishra in which he had sought to know
when did it take the case of gas leak and why it did not
question Anderson while he visited India after the industrial
"No delay was caused in the examination of any accused
person except Mr. Warren Anderson of the case during
investigation. CBI couldn`t examine and record statement of
Warren M Anderson as he was absconding," the agency had said
in its RTI reply.
During the hearing, Mishra, however, alleged that CBI
got the case on December 6, 1984 while Anderson visited the
country after that and hence "if there are any reasons on
record for not interrogating him these should be provided".
Agreeing with the argument, Information Commissioner
Shailesh Gandhi directed the PIO "to provide the information
about the reasons for not interrogating Warren Anderson as per
available records to the appellant before July 10, 2011".
In another case against the CBI, the CIC directed the
agency to disclose the log books of the vehicles maintained by
The CBI has objected to disclosure saying officials
travel for collecting sensitive information and meeting
various individuals in relation to cases investigated by them
and making these details public would endanger their lives.
Gandhi in his ruling said that log books can be
disclosed by severing information like names of the officials
and destinations they travelled to.
He directed the CBI to make public log books "after
blanking out the locations to which the officers may have
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city