WikiLeaks exposes BJP`s opportunistic politics: Sonia
Karimganj: Citing the WikiLeaks
disclosures, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Friday accused the
BJP of indulging in "opportunistic politics" and asked as to
how people could believe the opposition party.
"You must have heard about WikiLeaks where a senior BJP
leader was quoted as saying to a foreign diplomat that the
party`s Hindutva ideology is opportunistic. Can now anybody
believe them?" Gandhi asked at an election rally at Neelam
Bazaar area in Karimganj constituency.
"Can anybody believe these people and their party? Never.
I know, you all are aware and understand everything and
recognise these people and their intentions," she said.
Gandhi was referring to a cable by Robert Blake, the
Charge at the US Embassy in Delhi, to his government that
senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley had remarked to him that Hindu
nationalism is an "opportunistic issue" for his party.
Jaitley has, however, maintained that he had not used the
word "opportunistic" and that the word in reference to
Hindutva could be the "diplomat`s own usage".
The cable by Blake, first accessed by `The Hindu` daily,
had said, "In India`s northeast, for instance, Hindutva plays
well because of public anxiety about illegal migration of
Muslims from Bangladesh."
Gandhi asserted that the Congress was not among parties
believing in opportunism, but was committed to the development
of Assam and the nation.
Assam, which has 126 Assembly seats, will have a two-day
poll on April 4 and 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda