WikiLeaks exposes BJP`s opportunistic politics: Sonia
Karimganj: Citing the WikiLeaks
disclosures, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Friday accused the
BJP of indulging in "opportunistic politics" and asked as to
how people could believe the opposition party.
"You must have heard about WikiLeaks where a senior BJP
leader was quoted as saying to a foreign diplomat that the
party`s Hindutva ideology is opportunistic. Can now anybody
believe them?" Gandhi asked at an election rally at Neelam
Bazaar area in Karimganj constituency.
"Can anybody believe these people and their party? Never.
I know, you all are aware and understand everything and
recognise these people and their intentions," she said.
Gandhi was referring to a cable by Robert Blake, the
Charge at the US Embassy in Delhi, to his government that
senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley had remarked to him that Hindu
nationalism is an "opportunistic issue" for his party.
Jaitley has, however, maintained that he had not used the
word "opportunistic" and that the word in reference to
Hindutva could be the "diplomat`s own usage".
The cable by Blake, first accessed by `The Hindu` daily,
had said, "In India`s northeast, for instance, Hindutva plays
well because of public anxiety about illegal migration of
Muslims from Bangladesh."
Gandhi asserted that the Congress was not among parties
believing in opportunism, but was committed to the development
of Assam and the nation.
Assam, which has 126 Assembly seats, will have a two-day
poll on April 4 and 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp