WikiLeaks exposes BJP`s opportunistic politics: Sonia
Karimganj: Citing the WikiLeaks
disclosures, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Friday accused the
BJP of indulging in "opportunistic politics" and asked as to
how people could believe the opposition party.
"You must have heard about WikiLeaks where a senior BJP
leader was quoted as saying to a foreign diplomat that the
party`s Hindutva ideology is opportunistic. Can now anybody
believe them?" Gandhi asked at an election rally at Neelam
Bazaar area in Karimganj constituency.
"Can anybody believe these people and their party? Never.
I know, you all are aware and understand everything and
recognise these people and their intentions," she said.
Gandhi was referring to a cable by Robert Blake, the
Charge at the US Embassy in Delhi, to his government that
senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley had remarked to him that Hindu
nationalism is an "opportunistic issue" for his party.
Jaitley has, however, maintained that he had not used the
word "opportunistic" and that the word in reference to
Hindutva could be the "diplomat`s own usage".
The cable by Blake, first accessed by `The Hindu` daily,
had said, "In India`s northeast, for instance, Hindutva plays
well because of public anxiety about illegal migration of
Muslims from Bangladesh."
Gandhi asserted that the Congress was not among parties
believing in opportunism, but was committed to the development
of Assam and the nation.
Assam, which has 126 Assembly seats, will have a two-day
poll on April 4 and 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued