Wikileaks unethical, wrong, anti-peace: Tharoor
New Delhi: Shashi Tharoor, former minister of state for external affairs, calls the latest expose by whistleblower website WikiLeaks unethical and wrong and says the contents of some leaked diplomatic cables cannot conclusively establish the view one country holds of another.
"I have absolutely no doubt that this is unethical and wrong because the confidentiality of government communications is the lifeblood of diplomatic comfort," said Tharoor, MP from Thiruvananthapuram who has also served as a undersecretary general at the United Nations.
"You do not effectively run a government if your own diplomats cannot report to their own capitals in utter candour," Tharoor, who was a contender and India`s candidate for the post of secretary general of the United Nations said.
He was speaking about the revelations being carried by various newspapers and websites worldwide, based on the ongoing analysis of some 250,000 leaked US diplomatic cables, many of which were published online by WikiLeaks.
Tharoor said diplomacy was also about not sharing perceptions about individuals holding high office with foreign governments as they cannot be entirely accurate and complete. "It`s only people inside the system who see the entirety of the file and can view the accurate picture," he said.
"Quite frankly it is silly to draw apocalyptic conclusions from that about any country."
Tharoor said what was also irritating about these leaks is they not only violated the peace canons of diplomatic conduct but also sullied the common sense that revealing matters out of context do not actually achieve the larger points these whistleblowers to make.
Founded in 2006 as a non-profit by Australian journalist Julian Paul Assange, WikiLeaks is a whistleblower website that claims to open up governments by providing innovative, secure and anonymous way for sources to leak information through websites.
This time it has created a storm by leaking some 250,000 dispatches to the US by its diplomats from various countries, contents of which have not only embarrassed Washington, but also some countries vis-a-vis others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today