Will agitate again if govt fails on Lokpal: Anna
Ralegan Siddhi: Veteran social activist Anna Hazare has warned that he would embark on another campaign if the central government fails to deliver on the Jan Lokpal Bill.
Talking to reporters here on Friday, Hazare said: "If the government resists in the enactment of a strong Ombudsman Bill, then we will embark on another campaign not only in Maharashtra but also nationally."
"We have to ensure a corruption free nation and the onus lies on the federal government to facilitate such an environment. I strongly call for a stringent Ombudsman Bill because only then can we get rid of corruption and I also think that the government should ensure an effective implementation of the bill," he added.
Raising concerns over corruption at a state level, he said that the appointment of a Lokayukta should be top priority to ensure the eradication of corruption.
"We are also concerned about corruption propagating in Indian states. To ensure eradication of corruption at a provincial level, I think it is important that all state ministers should be under the ambit of the Ombudsman Bill. We also have to look into the appointment of an Ombudsman to deal with corruption at a provincial level," said Hazare.
Earlier, he said he would write to all village councils and heads in Maharashtra and urge them to support the appointment of an effectual Lokayukta.
He had staged an indefinite hunger strike against graft that he gave up on the 13th day when the government agreed to deliberate the issues raised by him and his forum vis-à-vis the passage and enactment of the Lokpal Bill, a suggestion that has received unprecedented nationwide backing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands