Will agitate again if govt fails on Lokpal: Anna
Ralegan Siddhi: Veteran social activist Anna Hazare has warned that he would embark on another campaign if the central government fails to deliver on the Jan Lokpal Bill.
Talking to reporters here on Friday, Hazare said: "If the government resists in the enactment of a strong Ombudsman Bill, then we will embark on another campaign not only in Maharashtra but also nationally."
"We have to ensure a corruption free nation and the onus lies on the federal government to facilitate such an environment. I strongly call for a stringent Ombudsman Bill because only then can we get rid of corruption and I also think that the government should ensure an effective implementation of the bill," he added.
Raising concerns over corruption at a state level, he said that the appointment of a Lokayukta should be top priority to ensure the eradication of corruption.
"We are also concerned about corruption propagating in Indian states. To ensure eradication of corruption at a provincial level, I think it is important that all state ministers should be under the ambit of the Ombudsman Bill. We also have to look into the appointment of an Ombudsman to deal with corruption at a provincial level," said Hazare.
Earlier, he said he would write to all village councils and heads in Maharashtra and urge them to support the appointment of an effectual Lokayukta.
He had staged an indefinite hunger strike against graft that he gave up on the 13th day when the government agreed to deliberate the issues raised by him and his forum vis-à-vis the passage and enactment of the Lokpal Bill, a suggestion that has received unprecedented nationwide backing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre