Will back Food bill if govt protects farmers` interests: Mulayam
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav Monday said that his party was ready to support the food security bill if the government promises to protect the interests of farmers and ensures that they get profit over their produce.
His remarks are significant as they come against the backdrop of reports that the issue of suspended IAS officer Durga Sakthi Nagpal could cast a shadow over Congress` bid to secure SP`s support on the food measure.
"If they promise that the farmers` interests will not ignored and they will get profit over their produce, then we can support the bill," Yadav said here.
To a question on whether SP`s stand on the food legislation has toughened after Congress raised the issue of suspension of 28-year-old Nagpal, Yadav said the two issues were not related and "our stand on food security bill is known for a long time".
"We cannot allow the interests of the farmers to be ignored," he said.
The SP supremo, however, indicated that action against Nagpal, a 2010 batch IAS officer, was taken to "prevent" communal disturbance which otherwise could have erupted after the demolition of the wall of a mosque.
A senior SP leader, on the condition of anonymity, asked as to what was the "provocation" for the officer to demolish the wall without a complaint.
There is also a view in the party that Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, who on Saturday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to ensure that the officer is not treated unfairly, got herself "unnecessarily dragged" into the controversy and it was possible that she was "not apprised of the full facts".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing