Will be everybody’s President: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: A day after he beat PA Sangma in the race to Raisina Hill, Pranab Mukherjee, who is all set to take oath as the India’s 13th President on July 25, said on Monday that he will be everybody’s President.
In an interview to an English news channel, Mukherjee said that he feels satisfied and happy for having secured the support of those political parties which are not part of UPA.
“I am particularly happy that those who committed (the political parties who do not belong to our formation), they ensured that each and every member of their electoral college voted for me. That doesn`t normally happen. I consider it as a great reward to my long political career,” he said.
Acutely aware of the multitude of challenges before him, Pranab said that hatred between political parties bothers him. He said, “I have no hard feelings for anyone… I will be everybody’s President”.
On the issue of Parliament attack accused Afzal Guru’s mercy plea, he said he will study the case after taking over and only comment after that. His clarification comes on a day when Shiv Sena – which had broken ranks with the NDA to back Pranab in Presidential Poll – demanded that Pranab Mukherjee should reject Guru’s mercy plea.
Looking back at his journey from a small village in West Bengal to the Raisina Hill, Pranab said that the journey has been a long one but his roots are still there in Mirati village in Birbhum district of West Bengal.
On a more personal note, Pranab da said, “When I filed my nomination paper, the picture of my mother came to my mind. Suddenly it came to my mind. What would have been her comment if I was elected President…when I was appointed finance minister in 1982, her first comment - when she family members rejoicing - was that my work will increase….I think, now, she would have thought that my work would increase very much.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'