Will be impartial: President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: Newly-elected President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday pledged to rise above partisan interests in the service of the people in his first speech after his swearing-in as the 13th President of the country.
Addressing an august gathering at the Central Hall of Parliament, President Pranab Mukherjee said, “I am deeply moved by the high honour bestowed on me by the people of India. As the President of India, it is my duty to protect, preserve and guard the sovereignty of the nation and its Constitution.”
“President’s function is to guard the Constitution and I would strive to preserve, protect and guard the Constitution not just in spirit but all across the divide of party and region,” he added.
Amid several round of applauses, Pranab said, “I will stay impartial during the discharge of my duties as President and ensure that even the poorest of the poor feel that they are part of this great nation.”
Recalling his humble beginning in his native state West Bengal’s Birbhum district, Pranab said, "Trickle down theories doesn’t address legitimate aspirations of the poor. We must erase poverty from the dictionary of modern India."
Praising the armed forces of the country, Pranab said, "I am proud of the valour, conviction and steely determination of our armed forces and brave police forces."
Earlier, Pranab took oath as India`s 13th President at an impressive ceremony full of pomp and pageantry in the Central Hall of Parliament.
Mukherjee was administered the oath of office and secrecy by the Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia.
Mukherjee, who won the July 19 presidential poll, takes over from Pratibha Patil and will be the new occupant of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Ahead of taking oath, Pranab paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi by visiting their memorial.
Dressed in a formal black achkan and churidar, Mukherjee visited Rajghat, Shanti Van as well as Shakti Sthal and Veer Bhumi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India