Will decide on Telangana after considering views: BJP
New Delhi: With the Telangana Bill expected to come up in Parliament during the session next month, main opposition BJP on Friday said it will decide on its stance after considering various views, particularly in the context of "justice" for Seemandhra region.
"We are studying the bill. Once the discussion in the (Andhra Pradesh) assembly is over, the central leadership will discuss and then take into consideration various view points and also suggestions by different people and then try to decide how to move about in the coming session of the Parliament," BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here.
He said though the BJP is committed to the creation of Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh, BJP wants to "protect the interests of Seemandhra region" as well.
He accused the Congress party of dividing the people, instead of dividing the state.
"You cannot deal with such a sensitive, serious and emotional matter in such a casual manner. It is a matter that deserves highest consideration at every level," Naidu added.
He claimed that a section of Telangana leaders too raised apprehensions over the bill.
His comments assume significance as the government is inclined to bring the bill in Parliament during the resumed Winter session beginning February 5.
Asked about his party`s stand is the bill is tabled in the same format without any amendments, he evaded a direct reply saying the ball is in Congress court.
"Let them take the initiative and come forward what sorts of amendments they want to bring to the bill," he said.
Naidu alleged that Congress was speaking in two voices at state and the central level.
"What is the stand of Congress party? Why are they not speaking in one voice?... Do you have hidden agenda?" he asked the ruling party to explain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'