Mumbai: The Union government on Thursday told the Bombay High Court that it will decide within 45 days whether to declare right wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha a terror outfit under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).
A division bench of Justices A M Khanwilkar and K K Tated was hearing a petition filed by one Vijay Rokade seeking a ban on the organisation, members of which are alleged to have carried out terror activities in Panvel and Thane.
The court was informed that the Maharashtra government has already recommended ban on the organisation and forwarded its proposal to the Union government.
Advocate G R Sharma, appearing for the Union government told the court that the Ministry of Home Affairs would look into the state government`s proposal and take a decision within 45 days.
"After taking its decision, the Union government will forward its recommendation to the Unlawful Activities Prevention Tribunal which will take a final decision after hearing all parties involved including the organisation," Sharma said.
The state government, in its affidavit filed before the court earlier, had said it accepted the state Anti-Terrorism Squad`s request to include Sanatan Sanstha in the schedule of terrorist organisation under UAPA.
According to the affidavit, in April last year the additional chief secretary of the state government had addressed a letter to the Director of Union Home Ministry informing it that three cases regarding bomb blasts has been registered against Sanatan Sanstha.
"The government of Maharashtra has reached to the conclusion that Sanatan Sanstha organisation is liable to be banned under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act," the affidavit said.
The bench today posted the matter for further hearing on March 11 by when the Union government will have to take its decision.