Will do everything to combat radicalism: Canada
New Delhi: Canada Wednesday vowed to do "everything possible" to combat radical extremism amid reports that pro-Khalistan groups have become active once again in that country.
Stressing that India and Canada were on the "same page" on the issue of terrorism, Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird said more needs to be done to tackle the challenge.
He said that Canada will be a "strong ally" of India on this front. There have been reports that pro-Khalistan groups have become active in Canada. Certain Canadian politicians and officers have also been noticed at some of the functions organised by such groups.
The issue was raised by External Affairs Minister S M Krishna during his meeting with Baird here.
"The minister had made a very good intervention on this in our meeting," Baird said.
He noted that the issue has also been raised by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Krishna earlier also.
"Over government will do everything it can possibly do under the law to combat radical extremism by such groups in Canada," Baird said.
He pointed out that Canada had in 2003 listed certain groups as terrorist organisations.
"We agreed that we gotta do more to tackle this challenge and we are completely on the same same page as India. It (extremism) is completely unacceptable," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range