Will explore every option to seek clemency for Sanjay: Priya Dutt
Mumbai: Congress MP Priya Dutt on Saturday said that their family would explore all the options to seek clemency for her actor-brother Sanjay Dutt.
"As a sister, as a family...We will always stand by him (Sanjay). That is what any loving family will do. It is only logical that as a family we will explore every option," Priya said in a press statement issued here.
"If the purpose of incarceration is reform and punishment for crime committed, then I believe he has undergone both," she added.
Stating that the Dutt family has accepted the Supreme Court judgement, Priya said, "We stand strong together in this trying time to give each other strength and courage."
"A 20-year ordeal has finally come to an end. Twenty years is a lifetime for most people. In Sanjay`s case this has been a lifetime of tension and anxiety...A lifetime of repentance and reform...A lifetime of punishment and trial," she said.
She thanked the media and the film industry for their support. "For Sanjay, versions of verdicts have been passed on him throughout these years. He has been judged by all during these 20 years and sometimes in the most harsh ways," she said.
"Yet, he has stood strong and firm, normalised his life, served the society, helped and stood by his colleagues, friends and family and is today one of the most dependable people in the film fraternity," Priya added.
Press Council of India chief Markandey Katju, a former Supreme Court Judge and some prominent personalties of Bollywood have sought pardon for the film star.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH