Will give onions as Rakhi gift to my sisters: Yashwant Sinha
Zee Media Bureau/Kamna Arora
New Delhi: Amidst government`s failure to curb the rise in onion prices, senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha on Saturday said that he would gift the vegetable as a gift to his sisters on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan.
"When my sisters come to me to tie `rakhi`, I will give them onions instead of gold or silver," quipped Sinha.
Its inability to control onion prices had led the Bharitya Janata Party (BJP) to lose power in Delhi in 1998. Since then it has failed to return to power.
In 2013, the BJP is all set to take the advantage of soaring onion prices to unnerve the ruling Congress party ahead of the forthcoming Assembly Elections in the national capital territory and 2014 General Elections.
The prices of onions and vegetables have already sent the budgets of many homes in the national capital haywire.
The BJP has accused Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit of being hand-in-glove with hoarders and black-marketers, leading to a rise in onion prices.
The price of onions in the wholesale market is Rs 50 a kg, but it ranged between Rs 60 and Rs 80 a kg in retail stores.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!