Will give onions as Rakhi gift to my sisters: Yashwant Sinha
Zee Media Bureau/Kamna Arora
New Delhi: Amidst government`s failure to curb the rise in onion prices, senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha on Saturday said that he would gift the vegetable as a gift to his sisters on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan.
"When my sisters come to me to tie `rakhi`, I will give them onions instead of gold or silver," quipped Sinha.
Its inability to control onion prices had led the Bharitya Janata Party (BJP) to lose power in Delhi in 1998. Since then it has failed to return to power.
In 2013, the BJP is all set to take the advantage of soaring onion prices to unnerve the ruling Congress party ahead of the forthcoming Assembly Elections in the national capital territory and 2014 General Elections.
The prices of onions and vegetables have already sent the budgets of many homes in the national capital haywire.
The BJP has accused Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit of being hand-in-glove with hoarders and black-marketers, leading to a rise in onion prices.
The price of onions in the wholesale market is Rs 50 a kg, but it ranged between Rs 60 and Rs 80 a kg in retail stores.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption