Will impound Yasin Malik`s passport if requested, says MEA
New Delhi: Amid concerns over Kashmiri separatist leader Yasin Malik sharing the dais with 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed in Pakistan and demands for revoking his passport, the external affairs ministry Tuesday said if it receives a request for impounding Malik`s passport it would "act on it".
The external affairs ministry said: "If we receive a request to impound his (Malik) passport, we will act on it."
Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said the passport was given to Malik, chief of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), after getting a "no objection" from other Indian ministries and agencies.
"When violation (of provisions of passport) is indicated... when it is brought to our notice, we will act," he said, adding that the government would act with Malik "as fit of a citizen of India".
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has demanded that Malik`s passport be revoked for sharing the dais with Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed at a rally held to protest the execution of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in Islamabad, Pakistan, Sunday.
Akbaruddin said India has raised with Pakistan the issue of bringing to justice Saeed, "the evil mastermind of the Mumbai attacks".
"Hafiz Saeed continues to pour vitriol on India...he is a fit case to bring to justice and we will do so," he added.
Earlier, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said the matter of Malik pertains to the home ministry and "I`m sure they will take appropriate steps. When they do, they will inform us".
BJP president Rajnath Singh said the government should "seriously" take cognizance of Malik sharing the public dais with Saeed.
"The government should seriously take cognizance of this. It`s not a small issue. I expect this much from the government," he told reporters here.
BJP leader M. Venkaiah Naidu also criticised the government, saying Malik`s passport should be revoked immediately.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said it was the home ministry`s mistake to allow Malik to go to Pakistan and the party would raise the issue on all forums.
Malik has said that Saeed was on the stage for 10 minutes and they did not exchange any words.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter