Will Indian Merchant Navy captain be released for his only child`s cremation?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Monday will be a very crucial day for the aggrieved family of Indian Merchant Navy Captain Sunil James as a Togo court is set to decide whether he will be allowed to return home to perform the last rites of his only son, who was 11-months old.
With the death of his only child Vivaan on Dec 2, the tragedy has deepened for Captain Sunil James and his wife Aditi, who has been pleading Indian authorities to help release her husband.
The couple`s 11-month old toddler Vivaan died of septicaemia last Monday after the gangrene in his intestine couldn`t be cured and the infection spread to the bloodstream.
The child was undergoing treatment at Mumbai`s Holy Spirit Hospital, where his dead body is kept in the morgue.
The Captain`s wife Aditi is waiting for the Togo court to allow the release of her husband at least for the last rites of only child.
Captain James was arrested on July 31 on charges of helping the pirates who attacked and robbed his Marshal Island-flagged ship MT Centurion on July 16 near the West African nation of Togo.
For last four months he has been jailed under very pathetic condition as earlier his wife Aditi reportedly said her husband had been living on bread and that he had fever and an infection in one eye, and the jail had no proper medical care.
Sunil`s family has been complaining that their pleadings to get him released have had little impact on the government.
However, Indian consular officials met the jailed captain in his cell on Saturday, reports said.
And the Ministry of External Affairs said that the whole issue was being taken care of by the Indian Mission in Accra, which also deals with Togo.
The Ministry added that Indian officials were in contact with Togo authorities to secure Sunil James` early release on "compassionate ground".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’