Will maintain apolitical outlook: Gen Bikram Singh
New Delhi: Officially taking over as the Chief of Indian Army, Gen Bikram Singh said on Friday that he is deeply honoured and will strive to ensure that Army remains accountable and apolitical.
Speaking to reporters, Gen Singh said “I am deeply honoured to take over as the 25th Chief of Indian Army. I assure that that the Indian Army will continue to do its duty.”
On the controversies that have surrounded the Army in recent times, Gen Singh said, “…look through the windscreen and not through the rear view. Don’t want to look back, want to concentrate on future.”
When asked to comment on his predecessor Gen VK Singh, the new Army Chief said, “I have no comments to make on my worthy predecessor.”
Dismissing concerns about the alleged wedge between the Army and the civilian leadership, Gen Bikram Singh said that matters can be dealt with given the wisdom on both sides.
“We are a disciplined force,” he stressed.
“All the cases will be dealt by the rule book…nothing will be brushed under the carpet,” he said.
When questioned on the issue of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), Gen Singh said, “The Indian Army had given its view on the issue to the government, now the government has to decide.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists