Will maintain apolitical outlook: Gen Bikram Singh
New Delhi: Officially taking over as the Chief of Indian Army, Gen Bikram Singh said on Friday that he is deeply honoured and will strive to ensure that Army remains accountable and apolitical.
Speaking to reporters, Gen Singh said “I am deeply honoured to take over as the 25th Chief of Indian Army. I assure that that the Indian Army will continue to do its duty.”
On the controversies that have surrounded the Army in recent times, Gen Singh said, “…look through the windscreen and not through the rear view. Don’t want to look back, want to concentrate on future.”
When asked to comment on his predecessor Gen VK Singh, the new Army Chief said, “I have no comments to make on my worthy predecessor.”
Dismissing concerns about the alleged wedge between the Army and the civilian leadership, Gen Bikram Singh said that matters can be dealt with given the wisdom on both sides.
“We are a disciplined force,” he stressed.
“All the cases will be dealt by the rule book…nothing will be brushed under the carpet,” he said.
When questioned on the issue of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), Gen Singh said, “The Indian Army had given its view on the issue to the government, now the government has to decide.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- STOP THIS SHAME! Pakistani doctor living in Gujarat tried to molest 16-year-old patient?
- Karnataka: KSRTC strike affects commuters, Bengaluru worst hit
- 'Happy Bhag Jayegi': 'Aashiq Tera' track highlights the love triangle between Diana Penty, Abhay Deol, Ali Fazal—Watch video
- Lionel Messi's new look: The hair bleach fever has caught the Argentine legend – Pic inside!
- Sensitive issues could damage ties with US military: China