Will maintain apolitical outlook: Gen Bikram Singh
New Delhi: Officially taking over as the Chief of Indian Army, Gen Bikram Singh said on Friday that he is deeply honoured and will strive to ensure that Army remains accountable and apolitical.
Speaking to reporters, Gen Singh said “I am deeply honoured to take over as the 25th Chief of Indian Army. I assure that that the Indian Army will continue to do its duty.”
On the controversies that have surrounded the Army in recent times, Gen Singh said, “…look through the windscreen and not through the rear view. Don’t want to look back, want to concentrate on future.”
When asked to comment on his predecessor Gen VK Singh, the new Army Chief said, “I have no comments to make on my worthy predecessor.”
Dismissing concerns about the alleged wedge between the Army and the civilian leadership, Gen Bikram Singh said that matters can be dealt with given the wisdom on both sides.
“We are a disciplined force,” he stressed.
“All the cases will be dealt by the rule book…nothing will be brushed under the carpet,” he said.
When questioned on the issue of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), Gen Singh said, “The Indian Army had given its view on the issue to the government, now the government has to decide.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly