Will maintain apolitical outlook: Gen Bikram Singh
New Delhi: Officially taking over as the Chief of Indian Army, Gen Bikram Singh said on Friday that he is deeply honoured and will strive to ensure that Army remains accountable and apolitical.
Speaking to reporters, Gen Singh said “I am deeply honoured to take over as the 25th Chief of Indian Army. I assure that that the Indian Army will continue to do its duty.”
On the controversies that have surrounded the Army in recent times, Gen Singh said, “…look through the windscreen and not through the rear view. Don’t want to look back, want to concentrate on future.”
When asked to comment on his predecessor Gen VK Singh, the new Army Chief said, “I have no comments to make on my worthy predecessor.”
Dismissing concerns about the alleged wedge between the Army and the civilian leadership, Gen Bikram Singh said that matters can be dealt with given the wisdom on both sides.
“We are a disciplined force,” he stressed.
“All the cases will be dealt by the rule book…nothing will be brushed under the carpet,” he said.
When questioned on the issue of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), Gen Singh said, “The Indian Army had given its view on the issue to the government, now the government has to decide.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened