Will make efforts to implement Sachar report: Rahman Khan
New Delhi: Implementation of Sachar Committee Report to address socio-economic issues of Muslim community and UPA`s election promises to minorities will be among the priorities for K Rahman Khan who took oath as Minister for Minority Affairs here on Sunday.
"My priority will be to fulfil all the promises made by UPA for minorities in the election manifesto in letter and spirit and see that Sachar Committee is implemented," Khan said immediately after the swearing in ceremony.
The veteran Parliamentarian from Karnataka said that he would also try to address issues which people from all minority communities feel have not been fulfilled so far.
The Congress leader also said Rahul Gandhi should lead the party in 2014 Lok Sabha elections and he was "sure" that with his vision for the country, Rahul will be a successful leader.
Asked whether he feels that Muslims have got adequate representation in the Cabinet with his induction as a Minister, Khan said "it is for the Muslims to understand that they get adequate representation."
"But I will try to work for the uplift of all minority communities," the Rajya Sabha MP said.
The 73-year-old leader said Government will work "positively for the development of the country and fulfilment of promises" made to the people and any effort to "tarnish" the image of UPA will be "unacceptable".
"So we will not be deterred with these adverse publicity," Khan, who relinquished the charge of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman earlier this year, said while replying to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past