Will make efforts to implement Sachar report: Rahman Khan
New Delhi: Implementation of Sachar Committee Report to address socio-economic issues of Muslim community and UPA`s election promises to minorities will be among the priorities for K Rahman Khan who took oath as Minister for Minority Affairs here on Sunday.
"My priority will be to fulfil all the promises made by UPA for minorities in the election manifesto in letter and spirit and see that Sachar Committee is implemented," Khan said immediately after the swearing in ceremony.
The veteran Parliamentarian from Karnataka said that he would also try to address issues which people from all minority communities feel have not been fulfilled so far.
The Congress leader also said Rahul Gandhi should lead the party in 2014 Lok Sabha elections and he was "sure" that with his vision for the country, Rahul will be a successful leader.
Asked whether he feels that Muslims have got adequate representation in the Cabinet with his induction as a Minister, Khan said "it is for the Muslims to understand that they get adequate representation."
"But I will try to work for the uplift of all minority communities," the Rajya Sabha MP said.
The 73-year-old leader said Government will work "positively for the development of the country and fulfilment of promises" made to the people and any effort to "tarnish" the image of UPA will be "unacceptable".
"So we will not be deterred with these adverse publicity," Khan, who relinquished the charge of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman earlier this year, said while replying to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan