Will not allow any threat to MF Husain: Chidambaram

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 - 21:01

New Delhi: Days after M F Husain was given
Qatari citizenship, the government on Tuesday said it would be very
happy to see the eminent painter return to India and that it
would not allow any threat to him.

"We would be very happy if MF Husain returns to
India," Home Minister P Chidambaram said in reply to a
question at a press conference here.

He said that Husain`s family had been informed that
full security would be provided to him if the 95-year-old
artist decides to come back to the country.

"There is no danger to him and we will not allow any
threat to him," Chidambaram said noting that there were some
cases against the painter in lower courts and lawyers can find
a way to put an end to those.

The Home Minister also noted that the High Court and
Supreme Court had quashed some cases against Husain.

Husain has been living abroad for nearly four years
following a spate of legal cases in the country over his
controversial paintings of Hindu goddesses.

Several cases were filed against him by people
protesting his portrayal of Hindu goddesses in the nude. His
house was attacked and art works vandalised by right wing
Hindu groups.

The Delhi High Court in May 2009 had quashed criminal
proceedings against the painter, saying his paintings were an
expression of creativity.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 - 21:01

comments powered by Disqus