Will not allow any threat to MF Husain: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Days after M F Husain was given
Qatari citizenship, the government on Tuesday said it would be very
happy to see the eminent painter return to India and that it
would not allow any threat to him.
"We would be very happy if MF Husain returns to
India," Home Minister P Chidambaram said in reply to a
question at a press conference here.
He said that Husain`s family had been informed that
full security would be provided to him if the 95-year-old
artist decides to come back to the country.
"There is no danger to him and we will not allow any
threat to him," Chidambaram said noting that there were some
cases against the painter in lower courts and lawyers can find
a way to put an end to those.
The Home Minister also noted that the High Court and
Supreme Court had quashed some cases against Husain.
Husain has been living abroad for nearly four years
following a spate of legal cases in the country over his
controversial paintings of Hindu goddesses.
Several cases were filed against him by people
protesting his portrayal of Hindu goddesses in the nude. His
house was attacked and art works vandalised by right wing
The Delhi High Court in May 2009 had quashed criminal
proceedings against the painter, saying his paintings were an
expression of creativity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls