Will not allow any threat to MF Husain: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Days after M F Husain was given
Qatari citizenship, the government on Tuesday said it would be very
happy to see the eminent painter return to India and that it
would not allow any threat to him.
"We would be very happy if MF Husain returns to
India," Home Minister P Chidambaram said in reply to a
question at a press conference here.
He said that Husain`s family had been informed that
full security would be provided to him if the 95-year-old
artist decides to come back to the country.
"There is no danger to him and we will not allow any
threat to him," Chidambaram said noting that there were some
cases against the painter in lower courts and lawyers can find
a way to put an end to those.
The Home Minister also noted that the High Court and
Supreme Court had quashed some cases against Husain.
Husain has been living abroad for nearly four years
following a spate of legal cases in the country over his
controversial paintings of Hindu goddesses.
Several cases were filed against him by people
protesting his portrayal of Hindu goddesses in the nude. His
house was attacked and art works vandalised by right wing
The Delhi High Court in May 2009 had quashed criminal
proceedings against the painter, saying his paintings were an
expression of creativity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'