Will not allow any threat to MF Husain: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Days after M F Husain was given
Qatari citizenship, the government on Tuesday said it would be very
happy to see the eminent painter return to India and that it
would not allow any threat to him.
"We would be very happy if MF Husain returns to
India," Home Minister P Chidambaram said in reply to a
question at a press conference here.
He said that Husain`s family had been informed that
full security would be provided to him if the 95-year-old
artist decides to come back to the country.
"There is no danger to him and we will not allow any
threat to him," Chidambaram said noting that there were some
cases against the painter in lower courts and lawyers can find
a way to put an end to those.
The Home Minister also noted that the High Court and
Supreme Court had quashed some cases against Husain.
Husain has been living abroad for nearly four years
following a spate of legal cases in the country over his
controversial paintings of Hindu goddesses.
Several cases were filed against him by people
protesting his portrayal of Hindu goddesses in the nude. His
house was attacked and art works vandalised by right wing
The Delhi High Court in May 2009 had quashed criminal
proceedings against the painter, saying his paintings were an
expression of creativity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre