Will oppose move to lower age of consent for sex: RSS
Jaipur: Slamming the government move to lower the age for consensual sex, RSS on Sunday said it was socially unacceptable and it would oppose the measure.
"The age for marriage for a girl is 18 but government wants to give legal consent for sexual relations before marriage by lowering the age to 16. It is not acceptable and RSS will oppose it," said RSS leader Bhaiya Joshi.
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013 proposes, among other things, to lower the age of consent for sex from 18 to 16 years, a move that has been opposed by various sections, including Muslim groups.
Briefing the media upon the conclusion of a three-day apex body meeting of the organisation called Akhil Bhartiya Pratinidhi Sabha, Joshi said that a resolution on the issue of persecution of Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh had been passed during the conference.
"RSS wants the government to intervene to ensure safety of Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh, (draft) a national refugee relief and rehabilitation policy assuring dignified living conditions for all Hindu refugees from the two countries and (secure) compensation in both countries for displaced Hindus," the resolution demanded.
Joshi said that the meet also saw a review of various activities undertaken by RSS over the last year.
"We are satisfied that the number of RSS shakhas is increasing in the country and around 2,000 new shakhas were opened in the last one year," he said.
He added that the RSS was conducting Hindu awareness programmes and activities directly and indirectly at 45,000 locations across the country.
Over 1,350 members participated in the meet which was inaugurated by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on March 15 in Jamdoli, about 20km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back