Will pass Lokpal Bill in Budget Session: Sonia to Anna Hazare
New Delhi: In a significant development, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi in a letter to social activist Anna Hazare has assured of passing the Lokpal Bill in the upcoming Budget Session, a report said on Monday.
The assurance from the Congress chief came in response to a letter written by Anna Hazare to her on January 23 seeking clarification whether the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will be made free from the government control and will it fall in the ambit of Lokpal.
Sonia had referred to the ombudsman bill in her speech at the party’s recently concluded ‘Chintan Shivir’ in Jaipur.
The letter further asked whether the proposed bill had provisions of giving autonomy to Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) and all government employees will be brought in the ambit of Lokpal.
The Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) had written a letter to Anna Hazare on January 10 saying that the government is taking action based on the recommendations made by the Rajya Sabha select committee last year.
The central government is committed to passing a strong Lokpal Bill in Parliament to curb corruption, the PMO told the social activist in a letter.
The select committee was formed in 2011 to look into the recommendations of the Rajya Sabha members for the Lokpall Bill.
The bill was passed in the Lok Sabha Dec 2011 and has been pending in the Rajya Sabha.
Hazare had agreed to break his 12-day long fast in Aug 2011 after Parliament broadly agreed to his three key demands to battle corruption.
Anna Hazare wanted the lower bureaucracy to be brought under the purview of the Lokpal, Lokayuktas in the states be brought under the Lokpal, and a citizen`s charter for government departments be worked out.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!