Will pass Lokpal Bill in Budget Session: Sonia to Anna Hazare
New Delhi: In a significant development, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi in a letter to social activist Anna Hazare has assured of passing the Lokpal Bill in the upcoming Budget Session, a report said on Monday.
The assurance from the Congress chief came in response to a letter written by Anna Hazare to her on January 23 seeking clarification whether the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will be made free from the government control and will it fall in the ambit of Lokpal.
Sonia had referred to the ombudsman bill in her speech at the party’s recently concluded ‘Chintan Shivir’ in Jaipur.
The letter further asked whether the proposed bill had provisions of giving autonomy to Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) and all government employees will be brought in the ambit of Lokpal.
The Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) had written a letter to Anna Hazare on January 10 saying that the government is taking action based on the recommendations made by the Rajya Sabha select committee last year.
The central government is committed to passing a strong Lokpal Bill in Parliament to curb corruption, the PMO told the social activist in a letter.
The select committee was formed in 2011 to look into the recommendations of the Rajya Sabha members for the Lokpall Bill.
The bill was passed in the Lok Sabha Dec 2011 and has been pending in the Rajya Sabha.
Hazare had agreed to break his 12-day long fast in Aug 2011 after Parliament broadly agreed to his three key demands to battle corruption.
Anna Hazare wanted the lower bureaucracy to be brought under the purview of the Lokpal, Lokayuktas in the states be brought under the Lokpal, and a citizen`s charter for government departments be worked out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’