Will pass Lokpal Bill in Budget Session: Sonia to Anna Hazare
New Delhi: In a significant development, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi in a letter to social activist Anna Hazare has assured of passing the Lokpal Bill in the upcoming Budget Session, a report said on Monday.
The assurance from the Congress chief came in response to a letter written by Anna Hazare to her on January 23 seeking clarification whether the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will be made free from the government control and will it fall in the ambit of Lokpal.
Sonia had referred to the ombudsman bill in her speech at the party’s recently concluded ‘Chintan Shivir’ in Jaipur.
The letter further asked whether the proposed bill had provisions of giving autonomy to Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) and all government employees will be brought in the ambit of Lokpal.
The Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) had written a letter to Anna Hazare on January 10 saying that the government is taking action based on the recommendations made by the Rajya Sabha select committee last year.
The central government is committed to passing a strong Lokpal Bill in Parliament to curb corruption, the PMO told the social activist in a letter.
The select committee was formed in 2011 to look into the recommendations of the Rajya Sabha members for the Lokpall Bill.
The bill was passed in the Lok Sabha Dec 2011 and has been pending in the Rajya Sabha.
Hazare had agreed to break his 12-day long fast in Aug 2011 after Parliament broadly agreed to his three key demands to battle corruption.
Anna Hazare wanted the lower bureaucracy to be brought under the purview of the Lokpal, Lokayuktas in the states be brought under the Lokpal, and a citizen`s charter for government departments be worked out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch