Will quit if criminal charges proved: MoS Railways
New Delhi: Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, who has been inducted into the Union Council as Minister of State for Railways, on Monday announced that he would resign if criminal charges are proved against him.
Talking to CNN-IBN, the newly-appointed minister threw an open challenge to the Trinamool Congress, saying that if the ruling West Bengal government finds a single criminal case pending against him, he would resign.
The 56-year-old Congress strongman from the party bastion of Murshidabad district in West Bengal had faced murder charges in 2005 in a case related to murder of two restaurant owners. However, he was cleared of all the charges in 2007.
Interestingly, the newly-appointed minister is out on bail in another murder case of a Gram Panchayan leader in Burdwan.
According to an affidavit submitted by Choudhury before the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, he has one criminal case pending against him in court.
Choudhury is considered one of the few party leaders with a mass base in West Bengal.
A school dropout, Choudhury took on the erstwhile ruling Left Front using his organisational skills, and countered the rivals` muscle power in like manner to turn the once red citadel of Murshidabad into a Congress stronghold.
It was Choudhury who persuaded Pranab Mukherjee (now India`s President) to contest the Lok Sabha election from Jangipur in 2004 and 2009 and ensured his victory both times.
Now serving his third consecutive Lok Sabha term from Baharampur after triumphing in 1996 from the Nabagram Assembly seat, Choudhury has been a sharp critic of Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee.
His elevation to the Union ministry could be linked to the party high command`s bid to counter Banerjee after the Congress`s divorce with the Trinamool and to strengthen the party organisation in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27