Will quit politics if charges are proved: Jagdish Tytler
New Delhi: In the dock after a court ordered reopening of a case for his alleged involvement in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, Congress leader Jagdish Tytler on Thursday offered to quit politics if charges against him are proved.
Tytler, who claimed that witnesses have changed their statements number of times, said he is also ready to undergo a lie detector test and dared them to also submit themselves to the test.
"If the charges against me are proved... I will quit politics," he said, adding, he would not show his face to his party if the charges are framed.
"If the court frames charges against me, I will not stay for a minute on any position which I hold because this will cause a lot of embarrassment to the party and I consider the party above everything else," Tytler told NDTV.
He is party in-charge of Odisha and also a member of the Congress Working Committee.
Not ruling out the possibility of the witnesses being planted, he said all of them including him and the lawyer of the riot victims H S Phoolka should be put to a lie detector test.
"Anybody can make a statement against anybody, but the statement must be examined. The truth must come out. There is a possibility that some of the witnesses were planted. Those two witnesses (Surinder Singh and Jasbir Singhand), myself and Phulka, we should all have this lie detection test," he said.
He claimed he was not present at the scene of crime and that he was "100 per cent open" for a probe into the carnage.
"I have produced a footage by Doordarshan which shows that I was present with the body of Mrs Gandhi from 7 AM to 3 O` clock.. How can I be at two place at the same time," he told television channels.
He was particularly critical of Surinder and Jasbir, blaming them for the reopening the case against him.
"My name comes back on the basis of the statement made by Surinder Singh and Jasbir Singh. Surinder Singh first gave a statement in English and then gave a written statement in Gurumukhi. I want to know that why Phoolka forced Surinder Singh to write a statement," Tytler said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22