Will quit public life if graft charges proved: PM
New Delhi: Hitting out at Team Anna for allegations of corruption against him and 14 other ministers in his cabinet, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday said he is ready to give up his public life if the charges are proved.
“My long public career as Finance Minister, as Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha and now as Prime Minister has been an open book. I will give up my public life if allegations are proved against me”, the Prime Minister said speaking to journalists on his way back to Myanmar.
The Prime Minister described allegations against him and 14 other cabinet ministers “irresponsible” and “unfortunate”.
"It is unfortunate that irresponsible allegations relating to irregularities in allocation of coal blocks are being made without confirming facts”, he said.
Team Anna had last week clubbed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee with 13 other Cabinet Ministers, whom they accused of corruption.
The anti-graft group has picked up portions of a draft CAG report to make charges against Prime Minister.
Besides Singh and Mukherjee, the ministers against whom Team Anna has demanded probe by an independent Special Investigation Team include P Chidambaram, Sharad Pawar, SM Krishna, Kamal Nath, Praful Patel, Vilasrao Deshmukh, Virbhadra Singh, Kapil Sibal, Salman Khurshid, GK Vasan, Farooq Abdullah, M Alagiri and Sushil Kumar Shinde.
Team Anna member Prashant Bhushan, yesterday, had hit out at PM saying, "Congress using the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as a Shikhandi to hide corrupt dealings”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency