Will reach out to non-NDA parties: Jaswant Singh
New Delhi: Nominated as the NDA candidate for the Vice President election, BJP leader Jaswant Singh on Monday said he would reach out to the non-NDA parties including UPA partner Trinamool Congress for their support.
"I will talk to all non-NDA parties for support. I will talk to Mamata Banerjee also," 74-year-old Singh told reporters soon after his nomination was announced by the NDA.
On both Mamata Banerjee and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalitha being `non-committal` on the Vice Presidential election, he said, "I will surely talk to both of them."
Asked if he felt that the contest was in favour of incumbent and UPA nominee Hamid Ansari, Singh said, "It is wrong to use words such as war... I don`t agree with these assumptions. If the NDA is trying to expand its base through me, what is wrong in it."
He said the post of the Vice President is "second-biggest" in the country and "it is a big challenge for me. I am humbled and it is a great respect for me."
The BJP MP from Darjeeling stated that he was not concerned whether he was the "first or the tenth NDA candidate" for the post and said, "It is a positive sign that I am the consensus candidate of the NDA. NDA is still together."
Reminded about his expulsion from the BJP in 2010 and asked if his nomination was an attempt by the party to honour him, Singh said, "It is better to forget the past and move ahead... I think honour is inherent."
Asked whether contesting the Vice President poll was an effort to stay away from active politics, he said, "How can you reach that conclusion. I am still alive."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'