Will register protest with UN body on Padma to Mir: Mirwaiz
Srinagar: Angry over selection of a
counter-insurgent for Padma award, the moderate faction of
Hurriyat Conference on Wednesday said a protest would be registered
with the UN Military Observers Group for India and Pakistan.
"Hurriyat met today and decided to take out a procession to
the UNMOGIP on Monday to register a protest against the
decision to confer an award to a counter-insurgent who is
involved in killings, kidnappings and rape of Kashmiris",
chairman of the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference,
Mirwaiz Umer Farooq said.
Referring to the statement of Union Home Secretary G K
Pillai that G M Mir alias Muma Kanna has been selected for the
award for his "yeoman`s service to the national cause",
Mirwaiz asked "is killing innocent Kashmiris a national cause
"It is unfortunate that Government of India has selected a
person for the award who is involved in large scale killing of
innocent Kashmiris", Mirwaiz charged.
Defending the decision to confer Padma award to Mir,
Pillai yesterday said he had extended a yeoman`s service to
the national cause.
Mir was a counter-insurgent who helped the security
agencies neutralise or capture militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?