Will resign if asked to: Puducherry Lt Governor
New Delhi: Facing ED summons for his
alleged links with Hasan Ali Khan, Puducherry Lt Governor
Iqbal Singh on Sunday said he is ready to resign from the post if
"I`m ready for any kind of inquiry by any authority. If
I`m asked to, I`m ready to resign from my post. But so far
there is no indication from anyone," Singh said to a news agency here.
He said, "Enforcement Directorate or any other
investigating agency has not approached me for any inquiry. If
they come, I`ll cooperate with them."
Singh has written to Home Minister P Chidambaram
admitting that he had recommended expeditious issue of
passport to Pune stud farm owner Khan but claimed he did not
know him. Khan is facing tax evasion and money laundering
Singh, who met Chidambaram on Friday, had said he had
made the recommendation for Khan at the behest of a Bihar
"I have already clarified my position on my
recommendation for issuing of passport to Hasan Ali. But why
there is no investigation on other issues like where Hasan Ali
travelled to, what was he doing in foreign land and whether he
has kept any money abroad," Singh said.
"I have no relation with Hasan Ali, nor do I know him
personally. My conscience is clear. I didn`t do anything
wrong," he said.
The Lt Governor said, "I was asked for a letter, I was
given this letter. And a letter was made and given there.
Secondly, a response on it was received from I K Gujral (the
then External Affairs Minister). If there is anything more
than this in my name, as an MP if I have done anything, then I
want to know what I have done.
"Whoever wants any kind of report from me, I`m ready to
give. I have done nothing more than this," Singh said.
Singh, who met President Pratibha Patil about 10 days
back, is understood to have briefed her about his stand,
according to official sources.
The Lt Governor said that at that time no one knew
Maintaining he had kept a record of letters as a
parliamentarian, he said, "...A letter was asked in the name
of Honourable Foreign Minister and I gave it. I got a reply
from him. Further, if Foreign Minister recommends someone,
even passport office, it is their work to enquire his
address...this is the work of police, not ours," he said.
He said, "As an MP, I have given thousands of letters. I
have copies of them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt