Will resolve differences with Sidhu: BJP
New Delhi: A day after Navjot Singh Sidhu`s wife claimed that the cricketer-turned-politician was feeling "suffocated" in the BJP and will not contest the next Lok Sabha Elections from Amritsar, the party said that it was hopeful of resolving the matter.
Sources said BJP president Rajnath Singh has spoken to Sidhu over phone.
Earlier, reports said that the BJP leadership was upset with Sidhu over his wife`s remarks and since she said the former cricketed will not contest from Amritsar, senior leader Arun Jaitley could be fielded from the Lok Sabha constituency in 2014.
Sidhu`s wife Navjot Kaur had yesterday said that the three-time MP was peeved over BJP sidelining him.
"My husband will not contest Parliamentary Elections from Amritsar and a decision in this context was taken long back as the BJP ignored and sidelined him and his local team, which have been working in the constituency for more than a decade now," Kaur, who is also Punjab Chief Parliamentary Secretary, said.
Sidhu has, however, not spoken on the matter so far.
Kaur had, earlier, stirred up a controversy within the BJP`s state unit by commenting on the social networking site that her husband felt "sidelined and ignored" in the party.
Kaur, BJP MLA from Amritsar (East), said on Thursday, "Yesterday, I was with him (Sidhu) at Delhi and told him about what I had posted on my social networking site account which was open to general public.
"On hearing this, he said that he didn`t like politics anymore as he was not getting due respect from his own party leaders. My husband told me that now he didn`t want to indulge his mind in politics."
She further said, "What I have posted on Facebook was not from my mind but from the core of my heart and there is no politics or hypocrisy involved in it," she said.
Kaur`s comments assume significance as they pose a question over Sidhu`s continuation in politics.
"Can anybody tell me, how one can let a honest leader survive, one who does not believe in corruption, does not support criminals, does not become party to commission system, what good can he do to the party? So, finally you pair up to push him aside; make him feel suffocated in the system despite three election wins, just because of his honesty and down to earth attitude," she said.
"I and my husband have strong grudge against party leadership, which did not allow him to make his team for the coming Lok Sabha polls. Without team how elections could be contested and I fail to understand what the BJP did with us," Kaur added.
She slammed the BJP, saying "the party high command not permit Sidhu run the show in Amritsar because of his honesty."
She also said everybody knows that Sidhu left TV show `Bigg Boss` to campaign for the party in the Gujarat Assembly polls.
Asked about her own future, she said that she would follow whatever Sidhu tells her to do.
"I am committed to my people of my constituency who voted for me. I would serve them day and night and my husband also suggested to remain loyal for the people who trusted me a lot," she said.
Kaur wrote on Facebook that Sidhu had kept himself busy the TV world in recent times because he was allegedly made to "feel suffocated in the system for his honesty", dismissing allegations that he was ignoring Amritsar and running away from the constituency for TV shows and other assignments.
She further posted that her husband has "gone back to the profession where he is respected," putting a question mark on Sidhu`s political career.
Kaur alleged that Sidhu was not consulted by the party while selecting BJP leaders for state and even Amritsar district bodies.
Both, the Union government as well as the state government scuttled projects pushed by him, she said.
Kaur further wrote that Sidhu had even not been able to devote proper time to his family because of his commitment towards the Amritsar constituency.
She also mentioned that Sidhu left some lucrative TV contracts and ran from pillar to post to get major projects approved for Amritsar, which were, however, scuttled by the Centre and the state government.
"Evil wins over, still Kalyug; Amritsar loses a real leader. I salute him because truth always wins," she wrote.
According to sources, Sidhu also had differences with SAD leader and state minister Bikram Singh Majithia over issues related to municipal corporation polls.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in