Will respond early on Telangana: Chidambaram
New Delhi: The Centre will respond as soon as possible on the demand for separate Telangana state, Home Minister P Chidambaram said on Monday.
Addressing his monthly press conference, he appealed to MPs from Telangana including his partymen to allow Parliament to function while their demand can be discussed.
"We will respond as soon as possible," he said in reply to a question about Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj asking the government to list the steps taken by it on the issue in the House.
Chidambaram said the ruling party had to take the "unfortunate" step of getting suspended its MPs from Telangana for four days.
"Our appeal is to let the House function. Whatever discussions have to be held can be held outside the house. There are always welcome to meet leaders who are dealing with the Telangana issue like Ghulam Nabi Azad and now Vayalar Ravi...They are available for discussions," he said.
Chidambaram said their appeal to them is that the government understands their concerns but while the matter is discussed, the House should be allowed to run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS