Will set Walmart store on fire, threatens Uma
Lucknow: BJP leader Uma Bharti on Friday
threatened to set on fire Walmart store wherever it opens in
the country to register her party`s protest against allowing
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
"By giving permission to Walmart to directly invest in
the retail sector, the Centre has jeopardised the employment
opportunities of Dalits, poor and backwards," she told
"I would personally set afire the showroom when it opens
anywhere in the country and I am ready to be arrested for the
act," Bharti said, condemning the decision of the Union
cabinet to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail and 100
per cent FDI in single-brand retail.
She said that she had apprised BJP president Nitin
Gadkari of her plan of action.
Meanwhile, commenting on her remarks, CPI MP Gurudas
Dasgupta said, "This is crazy talk...this is not the way...
Having been a member of Parliament, can she speak like this?"
Bharti also ventilated her strong displeasure against
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi and accused them
of "shedding crocodile tears" in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and
expressing "fake anger".
"I too feel angry at the Central and state governments,"
If Rahul was really concerned over the plight of dalits,
poor and backwards he should ask the Prime Minister to prevent
the arrival of Walmart, she said.
"Economic liberalisation has snatched employment
opportunities of about 90 per cent of the poor people and
benefited only 10 per cent," Bharti said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Wimbledon 2016: Novak Djokovic begins title defence with a solid victory
- Shiva Thapa, Manoj Kumar can win gold at Rio Olympics: Vikas Krishan
- Rajinikanth doing well, in US for medical test: Brother
- Pakistan admits stalling India's NSG bid; says will not back down from 'principled stand' on Kashmir
- Euro 2016: Italy vs Spain - As it happened...