Will set Walmart store on fire, threatens Uma
Lucknow: BJP leader Uma Bharti on Friday
threatened to set on fire Walmart store wherever it opens in
the country to register her party`s protest against allowing
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
"By giving permission to Walmart to directly invest in
the retail sector, the Centre has jeopardised the employment
opportunities of Dalits, poor and backwards," she told
"I would personally set afire the showroom when it opens
anywhere in the country and I am ready to be arrested for the
act," Bharti said, condemning the decision of the Union
cabinet to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail and 100
per cent FDI in single-brand retail.
She said that she had apprised BJP president Nitin
Gadkari of her plan of action.
Meanwhile, commenting on her remarks, CPI MP Gurudas
Dasgupta said, "This is crazy talk...this is not the way...
Having been a member of Parliament, can she speak like this?"
Bharti also ventilated her strong displeasure against
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi and accused them
of "shedding crocodile tears" in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and
expressing "fake anger".
"I too feel angry at the Central and state governments,"
If Rahul was really concerned over the plight of dalits,
poor and backwards he should ask the Prime Minister to prevent
the arrival of Walmart, she said.
"Economic liberalisation has snatched employment
opportunities of about 90 per cent of the poor people and
benefited only 10 per cent," Bharti said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH