Will set Walmart store on fire, threatens Uma
Lucknow: BJP leader Uma Bharti on Friday
threatened to set on fire Walmart store wherever it opens in
the country to register her party`s protest against allowing
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
"By giving permission to Walmart to directly invest in
the retail sector, the Centre has jeopardised the employment
opportunities of Dalits, poor and backwards," she told
"I would personally set afire the showroom when it opens
anywhere in the country and I am ready to be arrested for the
act," Bharti said, condemning the decision of the Union
cabinet to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail and 100
per cent FDI in single-brand retail.
She said that she had apprised BJP president Nitin
Gadkari of her plan of action.
Meanwhile, commenting on her remarks, CPI MP Gurudas
Dasgupta said, "This is crazy talk...this is not the way...
Having been a member of Parliament, can she speak like this?"
Bharti also ventilated her strong displeasure against
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi and accused them
of "shedding crocodile tears" in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and
expressing "fake anger".
"I too feel angry at the Central and state governments,"
If Rahul was really concerned over the plight of dalits,
poor and backwards he should ask the Prime Minister to prevent
the arrival of Walmart, she said.
"Economic liberalisation has snatched employment
opportunities of about 90 per cent of the poor people and
benefited only 10 per cent," Bharti said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town