Will sweep floor on Sonia’s command: Chhattisgarh Congress chief
Zee Media Bureau
Raipur: Another Congress leader has added his name to the list of ‘political sycophants’.
Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing Charandas Mahant, who has been appointed as the working president of the Chhattisgarh State Congress Committee (CGPCC), has said that he is willing to sweep the floor if asked by party president Sonia Gandhi.
"If Congress president Sonia Gandhi asks me to pick up a broom and sweep state Congress office in Chhattisgarh, I would do it," Mahant said, while responding to questions whether he would be able to devote time to his new job while continuing as a Union minister of state.
Mahant said Sonia had shown faith in him by appointing him as Nandkumar Patel’s successor. Patel was killed, along with many other state Congress leaders, in a brazen Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar district on May 25.
Former president Giani Zail Singh had made identical remarks in 1982 when he was appointed the head of state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy
- Sachin Tendulkar's latest tweet proves that wherever he goes, India follows - See pic inside!