Will take corrective action: Sonia on poll loss
New Delhi: A day after Congress suffered setbacks in the Assembly elections results, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday said her party humbly accepts the verdict.
Speaking to reporters here after ‘introspection’ meet at party headquarters here, Sonia said that choosing wrong candidates, which also created rebel candidates, was one of the major reasons behind the debacle.
She added price rise could have been another reason which led to Congress’ defeat.
Sonia said the party had better hopes in Punjab, but were damaged by Manpreet Singh Badal’s Punjab Peoples Party (PPP).
She said “in about 23 seats, PPP damaged us rather than the Akalis”.
The Congress chief accepted voters in Goa were unhappy with the party.
Reflecting on the unfavourable results in Uttar Pradesh, Sonia said the party organisation is weak there.
“The people of UP were unhappy with the BSP and the only alternative before them was SP,” she told reporters.
Responding to a question, Sonia said “every election is a lesson for us whether we win or lose,” adding “we will have to look down all the results and then take corrective action”.
The UPA chairperson denied the results will damage the coalition government at the Centre.
She added that “if we continuously stay in touch with coalition partners and opposition, I have hope that on issues which are beneficial to the people they will understand”.
Responding to a question as to whether Rahul Gandhi was given wrong advise on UP, Sonia said, “No.”
On the poor show in Gandhi bastions of Amethi and Rae Bareli in UP, Sonia said people were not happy with the party candidates.
While accepting there was lack of local leadership in several states, the Congress chief said the party will have to pull up its socks for Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh and Karnataka where elections are due soon.
Sonia further said her party stake claim in Uttarakhand as it has emerged as the single-largest party there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt
- Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra's sizzling chemistry in 'Baar Baar Dekho' is making us crazy!