Will US reconsider decision on visa to Modi?
Washington: A US lawmaker has asked the Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, to reconsider the government`s decision against issuing a diplomatic visa to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, drawing strong reactions from the Indian American Muslim community here.
Congressman Joe Walsh, a right wing conservative Republican and a tea party favourite has written a letter to Clinton, requesting her to consider granting a diplomatic visa to Modi.
The letter attracted strong reaction from the Indian American Muslim community who yesterday demanded that the State Department should not change its 2005 policy on Modi`s visa.
yet to respond to the letter, which was written by Congressman Walsh more than a fortnight ago, but sources in the State Department said there has been no change in its policy with regard to Modi`s visa and would not change till the matter is sub-judice.
Taking a strong objection to the effort of Walsh, the Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC) alleged that the Congressman`s letter is factually incorrect.
"It is unfortunate that a sitting member of the US Congress should attempt to make a case based on ignorance of the law which was amended in September 2009, specifically to remove the 24-month restriction," IAMC president, Shaheen Khateeb, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack