Will welcome TRS` merger with Congress, says Digvijay
Bhopal: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Wednesday said he will welcome merger of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) with his party now that a decision on Telangana has been taken.
"TRS supremo Chandrashekhar Rao has said in the past that if the Congress gives us state of Telangana we would be very happy to merge TRS with the Congress.
"Now that a decision (on granting statehood to Telangana) has been taken, we would welcome TRS` merger with Congress," he said.
The Congress General Secretary was talking to reporters outside the Madhya Pradesh Congress office here.
Yesterday, the Congress and UPA gave nod for carving out Telangana state from Andhra Pradesh.
Rao, who formed TRS in 2001, had emerged as the political face of the movement for Telangana statehood.
The TRS leader welcomed the decision to carve out a state of Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
Asked yesterday about possible merger of his party with Congress, Rao said he alone cannot talk about the issue and that the Bill for formation of separate Telangana needs to be passed in Parliament before the issue could be discussed.
The former Union Minister said the merger issue needs to be discussed within the Politbureau, his party`s key decision-making body, and other party fora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Good news! Airtel cuts 4G price by up to 80% to check R Jio effect
- Bulandshahr rape case: No CBI probe, says Supreme Court
- India's economy never been in stronger position than today: Parekh
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award