Will you move ICJ in Captain Kalia’s case? SC asks Centre
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued a notice to the Centre on a plea by the father of Kargil hero captain Saurabh Kalia seeking its direction to the government to raise his son`s case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) at Hague.
Captain Saurabh Kalia was allegedly captured and brutally killed by the Pakistani Army during the war in 1999.
A two-member bench of Justice RM Lodha and Justice Anil R Dave also asked the Centre whether courts can interfere in such cases.
"We fully share your agony. But what is the role of the court? Can we direct India to take up with the International Court of Justice? It is the highest court and our orders should be within the four corners of the Constitution. This is an important issue. If the government wants it can take up the issue with the ICJ and there is no need for our interference," the bench said.
The court was initially reluctant to issue notice on the grounds that the matter involved two countries and the Indian government should take up the issue with the ICJ.
At this, the court was told that Capt Saurabh Kalia`s family has made every effort to seek justice. They had requested the Defence Ministry, which in turn said that matter has been referred to the Prime Minister`s Office, which in turn said the matter was under the consideration of the External Affairs Ministry.
The court gave the Centre 10 days time to respond to the petition.
NK Kalia has also filed a petition before the UN Human Rights Commission demanding justice for his son. The External Affairs Ministry has said that it would look at the nature of NK Kalia`s petition as the UNHRC look into only inter-state issues raised by its members.
NK Kalia has alleged that his son was captured as a prisoner of war but was killed in a gruesome manner in violation of the Geneva Convention.
Capt Kalia and five other soldiers of his patrolling team were captured alive on May 15, 1999 by Pakistani troops and kept in captivity where they were tortured and their bodies mutilated. Their bodies were handed over to the Indian side later.
The Army has promised full support to Kalia and his family.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow