William Burns to hold talks with NSA, FS
New Delhi: India and the US are expected to make efforts to iron out irritants in the nuclear liability law for the implementation of civil nuclear deal during talks
US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns will have here on Monday.
The civil nuclear agreement, signed by the two countries in 2008, will top the agenda when Burns meets National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon, Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and other officials.
He is also expected to call on External Affairs Minister SM Krishna.
Burns "will meet with senior government officials to discuss a broad range of bilateral, regional, and global issues, underscoring the continued growth in the strategic partnership", the US embassy said in a statement announcing Burns` visit to India.
He will also visit Mumbai to meet business leaders and participate in the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the American Consulate General`s new facility in suburban Bandra-Kurla complex.
Implementation of the civil nuclear agreement, signed in 2008 by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the then US President George W Bush, has been a matter of
contention, particularly due to American reservations on India`s nuclear liability law.
The US contends that the legislation is not in tune with the IAEA`s Convention on Supplementary Compensation thus making it difficult for US companies to start nuclear commerce with India.
The Prime Minister had told US President Barack Obama last month in Bali that India had gone "some way" to allay concerns of US firms on nuclear liability but made it clear that any specific grievance has to be addressed within the "four corners" of the law.
On Tuesday, Burns will travel to Hanoi for meetings with the Vietnamese leadership to discuss the developing strategic relationship between the two countries, including economic cooperation, people-to-people ties, and the ongoing human rights concerns.
Burns would visit Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, where he will meet a range of senior officials and other Malaysian leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?