Willing to offer F-35 to India: Lockheed
Le Bourget: After India rejected its F-16 jets, US defence major Lockheed Martin on Monday said it is willing to offer the latest F-35 stealth fighter planes if the US government approves it.
"The decision has to be taken by the (US) government. There has not been any discussion between us and the Indian Government," Lockheed`s Martin Director of Communications of F-35 Michael J Rein said, saying his firm is willing to rejoin the bid for the $11 billion fighter jet deal for procurement of 126 Medium-Multi Role Combat Aircraft.
The Indian Government had rejected Lockheed`s offer of F-16 along with another US firm Boeing`s offer of F/A-18 Super Hornet from the race for procurement of the jets.
Rein said the offer of F-35 stealth fighter to India has been mentioned in a draft Senate Bill and it was up to the US Government to take it forward.
The proposal to allow sale of F-35 stealth fighter has brightened the prospects of Lockheed Martin returning to the race for the deal, a top official of an Aerospace firm attending the Paris Air Show said.
Both Boeing and Lockheed Martin had been aggressively biding for the anticipated $11 billion deal.
Rein, who is here to as part of Lockheed Martin’s delegation to Paris Air Show, was replying to a question on reports that the US defence major will offer its F-35 jets to India to rejoin the race for the MMRCA contract, billed as one of the largest in recent times world-wide.
Lockheed Martin had offered the F16IN Super Viper to India which was rejected by the Indian government along with Boeing`s F-18 Super Horne and the Russian MiGs.
India has shortlisted two European contenders, French Dassault Rafale and European Eurofighter for procuring the 126 Medium-Multirole Combat Aircraft (M-MRCA) deal for the Indian Air Force (IAF) in April.
However, another executive, said it would be difficult for Lockheed Martin to rejoin the competition as Indian government has already completed the shortlisting exercise.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative