Winds caused turbulence: Jet scare probe
New Delhi: A preliminary probe into last
week`s midair scare on a Delhi-Guwahati Jet Airways flight
that suddenly shook and plummeted for a few seconds, has
indicated that the turbulence might have been caused by winds
or air pocket and not by another passing plane.
Earlier, the airline had said that the turbulence was
caused by the engine thrust of a Boeing 747 jumbo coming from
the opposite direction, which forced the Jet`s Boeing 737, a
smaller plane, to shake violently and lose some height.
The pilots had soon brought the B-737 under control,
stabilised it and later landed at Guwahati. None of the 134
people on board was injured in the incident which occurred
when flight 9W-2280 was over Patna, but created panic among
The preliminary report indicates that there was "no
breach of separation" between the two aircraft, which
maintained more than the mandatory distance of 1,000 feet,
official sources said.
Denying that there was a "near-miss" between the two
aircraft, they said the Jet plane could have fallen into cross
winds or an air pocket.
The sources also discounted the theory that the
incident occurred due to `Wake Vortex Turbulence` which is
defined as turbulence generated by the engine thrust of a
However, the pilots are understood to have filed a
report saying that they had been informed by the air traffic
control that another plane was flying above their`s.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!