With Jat votes at stake, Khaps become an issue in Haryana
Chandigarh: With Jats, accounting for over
one-fourth of the electorate in Haryana, political leaders are
openly supporting Khaps or caste councils, recently in news
for their diktats over same `gotra` marriages.
Congress MP from Kurukshetra, Navin Jindal not only
attended a Khap Mahapanchayat in Kaithal on Sunday, about 120
km from here, but also lauded these panchayats saying they had
been rendering yeoman service to the society by resolving
people`s problems over ages.
His constituency has a strong presence of the Khaps and it
was Karoran village in Kaithal district from where Babli (19)
and Manoj (23) fell in love and were murdered in cold blood.
Their relationship was not approved as it violated the same
`gotra` norm, under which even married couple is declared as a
brother and sister.
"They (Khaps) are constituents of my constituency and I
have to listen to them," Jindal has maintained, even though he
has made it clear that any action, which violate law, cannot
While praise for the Khaps by Jindal (40), who is also a
leading industrialist and US-educated, may have surprised a
few, but 75-year-old former Chief Minister and opposition INLD
supremo, Om Prakash Chautala`s recent statements that his
party will bring a resolution to amend the Hindu Marriage Act,
goes on to show that parties in Haryana cannot afford to annoy
The present Act does not address the problem of same gotra
marriages, a key demand raised by various Khaps.
"We will bring a resolution in the assembly regarding this.
If the government brings an amendment bill, my party will
support it," Chautala has said.
Another senior Congress leader and six-time MLA from
Rewari, Ajay Yadav, too has been supportive of the Khaps,
admitting that there is a "scientific reason" why marriages
within the same gotras should not take place.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, also a Jat, has
tried to play down fatwas issued from time to time by the
Khaps, maintaining that law will take its own course and
nobody will be allowed to take law in his own hands.
However, his close confidant and Rajya Sabha member Shadi
Lal Batra has also gone a step ahead, favouring amendment in
the Hindu Marriage Act.
Various Khaps including Dharana, Singhwal and Asanda, have
in the past been issuing fatwas to couples and their families
over same gotra marriages.
Political analysts point out that with Municipal polls and
Panchayat elections drawing closer in the state, parties
cannot afford to alienate the Jats.
The Jats are believed to have helped in INLD`s resurgence
in October 2009 elections. The party bounced back into
reckoning after being out in the dumps having tasted
successive electoral defeats from 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum