With Mamata quitting UPA, allies should follow suit: BJP
Hyderabad: The UPA allies should follow Trinamool Congress and withdraw support to the coalition for initiating anti-people measures like hiking diesel price and allowing FDI in retail, BJP said here on Wednesday.
Other allies of the UPA government should follow suit in the interest of people of the country and withdraw their support, former Union Minister and BJP national spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters here.
Describing UPA government as a "sinking ship", the BJP leader said it was laden with `coalgate`, diesel price hike and gas cylinders and the "ship may sink anytime".
The allies should be cautious while sailing on the sinking ship and save themselves and protect the interest of the people, he said.
Appreciating Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s stand against the UPA, Shahnawaz said she has taken a courageous step and the people of West Bengal and the country at large were praising her decision.
He alleged that the Manmohan Singh government has lost credibility among people, its allies and of the opposition party since it has been taking "unilateral decision to protect the interest of foreign institutions".
Referring to the UPA government`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail, Hussain said, "small shop owners would become salespersons after its implementation."
Stating that the BJP would not allow the UPA government to throw small traders on streets, he said with the FDI in retail trade, about 20 crore people would lose jobs.
As a part of nation-wide `Bharat bandh` call given by the NDA protesting the UPA government`s decision, Hussain along with senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu would participate in a programme here tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire