Withdraw case against Muslim cleric, compensate him: CPI(M)
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Saturday demanded immediate
withdrawal of the case against a Muslim cleric, saying
offloading him from a flight on a trivial complaint and
sending him to jail indicated "community profiling" which was
"condemnable and unacceptable".
"The case against Nurul Huda must be withdrawn forthwith.
The CPI(M) also demands that he be fully compensated for the
losses he suffered as a result of wrongful detainment," the
party Politburo said in a statement here.
50-year old Huda, a resident of Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh,
was detained and arrested at the airport after a woman
co-passenger in the Emirates Airways flight EK511 from Delhi
to London via Dubai complained to the cabin crew that she
heard him speaking over his cellphone "suspiciously".
Observing that the detention and arrest of Huda was "a
reminder of the deep-rooted prejudice" existing among sections
of law enforcement agencies, the CPI(M) said, "It was bad
enough that he was off loaded from the Emirates flight on the
basis of a trivial complaint but for the Delhi Police to
register a case against him and to have sent him to Tihar Jail
is condemnable and unacceptable.
"Clearly while caution and alertness is required from all
official agencies against any terrorist threats, the kind of
community profiling which is reflected in this case puts a
question mark on the credibility of law enforcement agencies."
The CPI(M) asked the Union Home Ministry to send a stern
message against such community profiling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'