Withdraw Hamid Ansari`s anarchist remarks: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday demanded the withdrawal of Rajya Sabha Chairperson Hamid Ansari`s "federation of anarchists" remark relating to the house.
The House was adjourned till 12 noon following protests by BJP members demanding question hour be suspended to discuss the purportedly illegal land deals of Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra.
The protest forced Ansari to say: "Every single rule, every single etiquette is being violated. If the honourable members wish the house to become a federation of anarchists, then it`s a different thing."
As the House reassembled at 12 noon, Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley said the Rajya Sabha chairperson overreacted and use of the words "a federation of anarchists" was unparliamentary.
"Anarchist is a term which is totally unparliamentary. I think the chair overreacted in calling the house a house of anarchists," Jaitley said.
"I urge the chair to reconsider it and it should be withdrawn ... and expunged," said Jaitley.
Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien said the chair had used the word "wish" and this did not mean he called the House "a federation of anarchists".
"This is a different matter, he did not refer to any member," Kurien said.
As BJP continued with its demand to expunge the word, Kurien said he would discuss the matter with the chairman, and reserved his decision on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere