Withdraw Hamid Ansari`s anarchist remarks: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday demanded the withdrawal of Rajya Sabha Chairperson Hamid Ansari`s "federation of anarchists" remark relating to the house.
The House was adjourned till 12 noon following protests by BJP members demanding question hour be suspended to discuss the purportedly illegal land deals of Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra.
The protest forced Ansari to say: "Every single rule, every single etiquette is being violated. If the honourable members wish the house to become a federation of anarchists, then it`s a different thing."
As the House reassembled at 12 noon, Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley said the Rajya Sabha chairperson overreacted and use of the words "a federation of anarchists" was unparliamentary.
"Anarchist is a term which is totally unparliamentary. I think the chair overreacted in calling the house a house of anarchists," Jaitley said.
"I urge the chair to reconsider it and it should be withdrawn ... and expunged," said Jaitley.
Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien said the chair had used the word "wish" and this did not mean he called the House "a federation of anarchists".
"This is a different matter, he did not refer to any member," Kurien said.
As BJP continued with its demand to expunge the word, Kurien said he would discuss the matter with the chairman, and reserved his decision on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Now, Nashik farmers sell fresh grapes online!
- Watch: Paraplegic Deepa Malik talks about her achievements!
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Mumbai: Mobile app to fight ISIS influence among youth across India
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen