Witness claims to have seen Sajjan during 1984 riots
New Delhi: A woman, whose father was killed in 1984 anti-Sikh riots, on Monday alleged before a Delhi court trying senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and others that she had seen the politician addressing a mob during the carnage.
"I had stated in my statement to CBI that I saw Sajjan Kumar in a police vehicle standing and addressing the mob," witness Nirpreet Kaur told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.
The witness made the statement during her cross examination for the 10th day.
She was confronted with her statement given to CBI, where the facts regarding the police vehicle and addressing the mob were not mentioned, by counsel I U Khan representing Kumar, the former outer Delhi MP.
The 42-year-old witness had remained in jail after being booked in three different cases registered under now-repealed Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA).
Her cross examination remained inconclusive and is likely to resume tomorrow.
In her statement before the court, Kaur had identified five accused Sajjan, Balwan, Kishan, Mahender and Captain Bhagmal who are facing trial relating to the killing of six persons at Delhi Cantt during the riots that followed the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
The case against Sajjan Kumar was registered on a recommendation of the G T Nanavati Commission that had probed the riots. CBI had filed two chargesheets against him and others in January last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official