Woman can`t be punished for adultery: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday said a
woman in an illicit relationship cannot be punished for
adultery despite being an abettor in the crime though the
husband is liable for punishment.
A bench of justices Altamas Kabir and RM Lodha quashed
the case of adultery registered against Kalyani by another
woman Sailaja who alleged that her husband was in a illicit
relationship with the former.
Though Kalyani had challenged the registration of case
against her by police under sections 497 (adultery) and 341
(wrongful restraint), the Andhra Pradesh High Court dismissed
her plea, following which she appealed in the apex court.
Interpreting Section 497, the apex court said, "Whoever
has sexual intercourse with a person who is and whom he knows
or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man,
without the consent or connivance of that man, such sexual
intercourse not amounting to the offence of rape, is guilty of
the offence of adultery, and shall be punished with
imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend
to five years, or with fine, or with both.
"In such case the wife shall not be punishable as an
The court said the provision is currently under criticism
from certain quarters for showing a strong gender bias.
"It makes the position of a married woman almost as a
property of her husband. But in terms of the law as it stands,
it is evident from a plain reading of the section that only a
man can be proceeded against and punished for the offence of
adultery," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog