Woman molestation case: DRI suspends constable
New Delhi: The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) on Thursday suspended a constable for his alleged involvement in a molestation case.
Five persons, including DRI constable Basant Kumar, were arrested for allegedly molesting a woman and trying to forcibly take her in their car on Sunday.
DRI said in a release that that on the basis of news reports claiming alleged involvement of the constable in the molestation of the woman, inquiries were initiated with the police authorities who have confirmed the arrest.
"Verification of the DRI employee records confirmed that Basant Kumar, is working as a hawaldar in the DRI headquarters. Pending further inquiries in the matter and receipt of a formal report from the police authorities, Basant Kumar has been placed under suspension with immediate effect," the DRI said.
Kumar and others four were arrested after a complaint filed by Roshni Devi who alleged that her daughter-in-law was molested by the group at her hut in Bawana in northwest Delhi.
Devi alleged that on December 30, the five men came in a car and entered their hut when she, along with her daughter-in-law, was busy cooking dinner.
"They molested Reena and tried to abduct her at which Roshni Devi resisted and shouted. People gathered and overpowered them. All the five men have been arrested," a senior police official said quoting the complainant.
The five persons, who have been identified as Mahender (26), Sunil Dahiya (25), Rajneesh (28), Gopal (28) and 31-year-old Basant, were arrested on December 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note