Woman prisoner attempts suicide in Tihar jail
New Delhi: A woman prisoner, who allegedly ran a sex racket and was booked under stringent MCOCA, attempted suicide in Tihar jail apparently to avoid punishment after a mobile phone was recovered from her possession.
Sonu Punjaban, involved in a number of cases including murder, attempted suicide last evening after she was shifted to a new cell from her old one. However, fellow prisoners informed the jail authorities immediately who thwarted her suicide attempt.
Tihar Jail officials said Punjaban was shifted to a new cell after she was found in possession of a mobile phone, which is a "serious offence."
Whenever a prisoner is found with a mobile phone, the officials said, it is a normal procedure to change his or her cell.
"It seems she did not like her new cell and to avoid more punishment she attempted suicide by tying her dupatta to a exhaust fan in her cell," a senior official said.
He said she was immediately removed from the cell and referred to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital where she was kept under observation for 24 hours.
The official said Punjaban was taken back to the jail this evening.
She is booked under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read