Women BSF personnel awarded with gallantry medal
New Delhi: Two women BSF personnel who had shot an intruder along Pakistan border last month were on Tuesday awarded with gallantry medals here.
The Border Security Force (BSF) constables, Rina Kaur and Aarti Kaur, were awarded the Director General (DG) commendation medals and citations by Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh during the investiture ceremony of the force.
The women, belonging to the 74th battalion of the force, had shot the intruder at Dera Baba Nanak Sector of Punjab, while he was trying to sneak into the Indian territory.
The incident took place in Gurdaspur district on April 29 and the two women personnel had earned praise from their seniors for the daring act.
While Singh congratulated the women personnel, Home Minister P Chidambaram while praising their role said that the women jawans are competing on equal footing with men in the BSF now.
The BSF had first started inducting women personnel in its rank in 2009 and has more than 700 personnel at present who are deployed for border guarding duties along Pakistan and Bangladesh frontiers.
Another 11 personnel of the force were decorated with gallantry medals while others were awarded meritorious and distinguished service medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened