Women get equal rights in guardianship, adoption
New Delhi: Women in India will now have equal
rights in guardianship and adoption of children with the
President giving assent to an Act to amend laws governing
marriages in the country.
Parliament had recently passed the Personal Laws
(Amendment) Bill, 2010 to amend the Guardians and Wards Act,
1890 and the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956.
"The President assented to the Personal Laws (Amendment)
Act, 2010 on August 31, 2010 and it is published in the
Gazette of India as Act 30 of 2010 on September 1, 2010," an
official statement said today.
According to the Guardians and Wards Act, which applies
to Christians, Muslims, Parsis and Jews, if a couple adopts a
child, the father is the natural guardian.
The amendment to the 120 year-old Act allows the mother
along with the father to be appointed as a guardian, making
the process gender neutral.
The Act provides for the mother to be appointed as a
guardian along with the father so that the courts do not
appoint anyone else in case the father dies.
The second amendment in the Hindu Adoption Maintenance
Act, 1956, (applicable to Hindus, Jains, Buddhists and Sikhs)
aims to remove the hurdles in the way of a married woman to
adopt and also give a child for adoption.
Presently, unmarried and divorced women as also widows
are allowed to adopt a child but women separated from their
husbands and engaged in lengthy divorce battles cannot adopt a
The new amendment would allow a married woman separated
from her husband to adopt with the consent of her husband even
during the time of divorce proceedings.
However, if he changes his religion or is declared to be
of unsound mind, no consent from the estranged husband will be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report