Women in distress: Govt mulls setting up computer-aided dispatch platforms
New Delhi: To improve efficiency in responding to women distress calls and provide speedy help, the government is planning to set up computer-aided dispatch platforms in 114 cities across the country, including 41 highly crime-prone.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh said his Ministry has envisaged establishment of platforms for supporting Geographical Information System based call taking and Global Positioning based police vehicle dispatch function that will help to improve the efficiency in responding to women distress calls and provide speedy assistance.
"The project is to be implemented in 114 identified cities, which includes 54 cities having a population of more than one million, cities/towns which are capitals of the state or union territories as well as headquarters of 41 highly crime-prone districts," he told Lok Sabha during Question Hour.
The project involves a total expenditure of Rs 321.69 crore which includes an implementation cost of Rs 102.12 crore and expenses for the central monitoring and evaluation project management unit of Rs 15.32 crore.
Singh said the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the proposal on February 5, 2014 and has sanctioned a total of Rs 32.69 crore out of the Nirbhaya Fund.
The Home Minister said Section 357A of the CrPC stipulates that every state government in consultation with the Central government shall prepare a scheme for providing funds for the purpose of compensation to the victims of sexual assault and other assault cases.
The Home Ministry is overseeing the notification and implementation of victim compensation scheme by states and union territories.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter