Women "more than" molested in Bhatta Parsaul: Govt
New Delhi: Stopping short of alleging rapes in
Bhatta Parsaul village in Mayawati-ruled Uttar Pradesh in May,
government on Thursday said an inquiry panel has found that women
were not only molested and stripped but the police personnel
did "even more than that."
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi who had visited
the village during the farmers` agitation had alleged that
women were raped and a heap of ash with bones was found at the
In a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on August 11, Women
and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath had said a
National Commission for Women (NCW) team visited the place and
"no specific case of rape has been confirmed by the inquiry
However, correcting the August 11 reply, Tirath said today
that the NCW team that went into the charges of alleged
atrocities including rape, stated in its preliminary report
that serious crime was committed on women.
"...police personnel broke open houses, looted valuables,
money, ransacked houses, tore women`s clothes and put them in
a state of nakedness, badly molested and committed even more
than that," she said quoting the NCW report.
The final report is, however, awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- British MP murder suspect to be tried in November
- Bill for indirect election of mayors passed by Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Jat stir: Haryana to provide 100 percent rebate in property tax
- China brushes off doubts over support on South China Sea, says it is growing
- Do you know why coconuts are offered to deities in temples?