Women sky-diving team to perform on Air Force Day
New Delhi: Buoyed by the success of its
female officers in summiting the Mount Everest, the Indian Air
Force has formed a new all-women sky-diving team which will
showcase its first performance at the 79th anniversary
celebrations of the service on October 8.
"We are going to have an all-women sky-diving team and
they are practising for the Air Force Day parade on October
8," highly-placed IAF officials said here.
Significantly, this will be the first all-women
sky-diving team of any defence force in the world.
The team has six members who are training hard for the
occasion, the officials said.
This team will be there in addition of the `Akashganga`
sky-diving team, which has been performing for the last
several years at both national and international events.
The idea to have such a team was mooted after three
woman officers successfully scaled the Mount Everest in June,
"Not only our women officers scaled the Mount Everest,
they also took the second and sixth position in the
International High Altitude Marathon held there," an official
Interestingly, the first place in the competition was
secured by Corporal Raju Sindhu, who also successfully
summited the Everest.
Flight Lieutenant Nivedita Choudhary, Squadron Leader
Nirupama Pandey and Flight Lieutenant Rajika Sharma reached
the 8,848-metre summit becoming the first three women IAF
officers to have achieved the feat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi